Divorce Without a Lawyer in Georgia

In Georgia, you may divorce without a lawyer. Simply stick to the plan and meet the requirements by the law.

First of all, you must realize that it’s very alike to getting divorced anywhere else in the country. You stop being a couple and divide assets and debts. The conflicts regarding financial assistance for kids or lack of self-support will extend the dissolution in time but are going to be settled by a judge.

The simplest and least stressful option is the uncontested divorce. It’s the scenario when both people reach consensus, resolve the matter peacefully avoiding third-party intrusion and get a Petition for Divorce. Regardless of the way you choose, you’ll have to put together a pile of the records. Don’t forget to sign and notarize the documents. Take all of it to the clerk’s office, pay the fees (approximately $200), and come to the scheduled hearing. After the judge studies the case, he’ll come to a verdict and finalize it.

In Georgia, a dissolution of a marriage has to be based on no-fault or fault-based grounds. It implies you’ll declare exactly why your couple has fallen apart. Fault-based grounds usually imply fraud, imprisonment, violence, etc. and make things more complicated. It also implies splitting what you have and what you owe. When you are unable to come to terms on these topics, a judge or a jury has the power to determine the outcome.

Alimony or its prohibition is also explained in the law. The Final Judgement is based on many details like how well the family did together, how long they’ve been married, etc. Note that it ends as soon as the person is remarried.

Only the judge determines who’s staying with the kids. The resolution is always made for the child’s well-being after the analyses of all data. A conclusion can be influenced by the parents’ financial possibilities and usually ends up in one of them paying the other (who got the kids). In case you settled it beforehand, you may file the parenting plan and save the trouble.

In Georgia the law allows a person to restore a prior or maiden name after finalizing. The couple is finally and legally separated 31 days after the judge’s verdict. It’s called the appeal period because it’s the time when a partner can file the request to change the outcome.

As you see, although it’s a stressful thing, it’s not that complicated.

Leave a Reply